Saturday, September 6, 2008

Humility in Politics

Some say that "Political Hope" is an oxymoron. What about humility in politics?

As we listened to the various political speeches at the Republican and Democratic National Conventions, did you see or hear true humility? Is that even possible? Am I crazy to even think about it or suggest it?

More than one candidate mentioned some form of the the word humility. All of the quotes I caught were self-described attributes in reference to receiving a nomination or serving with a truly great leader. I'm not going to tell you those were false assertions, though I know many of you are skeptical. I ask you to consider another view of humility, and the reality that one politician had the guts to demonstrate it.

My view of true humility is one that "the Fonz" on Happy Days couldn't quite get out of his mouth. My definition is doctrinal in nature. It has to do with confession; ownership of faults; recognizing that we're human. Of course we all know that we are human and we do have faults. The question; the difficultly ... is admitting them. Are you willing to admit your faults. Do you confess that you made a mistake, or an error, or just flat blew it?

There are two acid tests of true humility. One, are you willing to admit to your kids, especially teenagers, that you were wrong, and two, as a politician are you willing to admit you and/or your party has blown it?

Just my opinion ... but I think we could use a lot more "true humility". We need men and women, parents and politicians both, that are willing to say, "what I've been doing was wrong". From my count, during the last two weeks of national conventions, only one man, only one politician, had the guts to admit fault and take responsiblity for it.

God Save the U.S.A.

No comments: